App Measurement Explained
What is App Measurement?
The Effective Measure App SDKs, for iOS and Android, provide a simple way for mobile app developers to establish measurement of in-app activity and have the activity reported in the Effective Measure dashboard.
Some benefits of app measurement:
- Compare app usage with website traffic.
- Track more than app downloads; also understand overall app usage.
- Measure app stickiness with both unique browser (device) and page (screen) impression metrics.
- Understand engagement metrics such as time spent using the app.
- Benchmark your app metrics against others in your country or category.
- Provide agencies with credible stats for all your online assets.
App Measurement Methodology
Measuring your app is similar to that of a standard webpage. Every app screen load is approximated as a page view, where the load is user generated and most of the screen is updated. The Effective Measure beacon should fire on each new screen load to ensure accurate app metrics.
The unique browsers (UB) metric is also known as a “unique device” within other app analytics packages. This is essentially the same thing, an audience measurement metric to approximate people.
Audience measurement metrics collected are:
- Unique browsers (devices)
- Average daily unique browsers
- Page views (screen views)
- Average page duration (average screen duration)
- Average visit duration
- Average page views (average screen views)
Demographic profiling of app audiences is not currently available.
The traffic from the SDK will be reported in the Effective Measure dashboard. This data can be viewed by using the keyword “app” in the dashboard search window.
Once configured, you should get in touch with our support team so we can configure your app to be visible in the dashboard.
Once live, app usage metrics will then be reported in the Effective Measure dashboard. The data is displayed alongside other app and website data for a complete market view of your audience across devices.
Traffic collection is done in real time via HTTP to Effective Measure’s collection servers. No buffering of data is performed by the SDK and a persistent connection to the internet is required for reliable data collection.